Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Ceiling paint

So, I'm moving soon, and before I move, I get to/have to paint an entire house from top to bottom (on the inside, the outside is vinyl siding). I'm getting lots of ideas for wall colors in various rooms (and the insides of closets), but the last couple of days I'm focused on ceilings. My brother tells me that I shouldn't paint them blinding white, but more of an off-white/linen color. He's probably right, but I'm afraid that the ceilings will look dirty if I don't paint them white.

And while I could choose a ceiling color for each room to coordinate with or match the walls, I know the whole thing will be much easier to manage if the ceilings are all the same color throughout.

Therefore, I'm soliciting opinions: Off-white ceilings: Elegant or slightly grimy?

6 comments:

Annie said...

Connie, I was told that ceiling paint was made *just* for the ceiling.. - It's called, well duh, Ceiling Paint. LOL
It's a thicker coat so you only have to really do one coat - it's hella expensive though; but wouldn't you rather do ONE coat on the ceiling rather than TWO coats. Nod your head -> YES.. because Traci and I are still coming over to help you.

Right Traci? Traci?

Figures she's not around. :P

Connie said...

Yes, but what color is the ceiling paint? Can you have it custom mixed?

Sweet NJ Mom said...

I'm pretty sure the ceiling color in my parents' home is off white in rooms where the walls are ecru and faux finsihed. In my old bedroom, the ceiling was white and the walls pale yellow. Not sure if that helps or not.

Connie said...

Thanks, Robyn. Every comment helps!

Dana Belfry said...

Off white for sure. :)

Anonymous said...

Definitely off white but don't use antique white. It has a grey (grimy) cast. Find something that has a yellow or beige cast to it instead. It will look warm instead of stark.