Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A moment on the road with Mom

I'm not sure just how expository the following story is, but it's funny, and while I want to blog about living here in the land of Estrogenia (AKA NoBoyLand), it's not quite there yet.

Anyway, on Sunday I accompanied Mom into town. We both needed a couple of things at the grocery store, and she needed a wireless router so that she could take her laptop back to the kitchen table instead of right next to the TV where the cable guy put it (she switched to Comcast and the modem isn't wireless). As stated in my profile, I live next door to Mom, and we live in a place that is not, contrary to some people's beliefs, the back of beyond. It's much closer to the front of beyond. Because we're in a more rural area, if you take what I think of as the back way into town, you pass a couple of small farming operations, and there are cows near the road here and there.

So, we're driving along headed toward town, and some of the swales/ditches near the road are still kind of flooded and marshy looking. In one particular spot, near a field with cows, there are a lot of seagulls on the ground and in the area. A lot of seagulls, more like numbers you'd usually see near salt water or a landfill. Our conversation goes like this:
Me: That's a lot of seagulls, I wonder what's so interesting.
Mom: Oh there are probably carcasses in the water that they're eating.
Me (horrified): Carcasses? You mean like . . .
Mom: Fish. I meant fish, not human carcasses.
Me: Human? Who said anything about human? I was thinking cows and was horrified.
Mom: Yeah, cows would be bad, too. Humans would be really bad, but we'd have read about that in the paper.
Me: You'd think so, wouldn't you?

I think that this conversation probably explains something, but I have no idea of what or to whom. But the good news is that mom's all set up with her wireless router and is once again free to roam the house with her laptop, much as dinosaurs once roamed the earth, unfettered by ethernet cable.

2 comments:

Lindsay Jean said...

So true...those dinosaurs loved them some wireless.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it was Soylent Green.