Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday Knitting Blog (11/11/2011)

It was briefly a positive knitting extravaganza since last I posted, mostly hats.

First up we have a hat which is charmingly named after my daughter. It's the Amanda hat. 
Pattern: The Amanda Hat (all pattern links are to Ravelry today)
Price: Free!
Yarn: Lion Brand Fishermen's Wool. The original color was natural, but this was dyed with Kool-Aid (see last Friday's entry).
Needle Size: US 9 (5.5 cm); started with a 16-inch circular and then switched out to magic loop for the crown decreases. 

This hat took about 3-1/2 hours of knitting time. I started on Sunday afternoon and finished before the Next Iron Chef, taking a break to prepare and eat dinner. It was easy, quick, and covers the ears. It looks really good on Ms. Thang, and I have enough of the yarn leftover to make another hat if I want to (and I think i do). We have a side look and a look at the crown. I just love it when a crown swirls. 



Next, up Monday's hat. I very rarely do commissions, but if the project is one that fits my time and current interest and I like the person asking enough (it's rare for all three to come together at once), I'll take one. This is one of those times. This is for a friend who wanted it for her fiance. 

Pattern: Simple Slouchy Hat
Price: Free!
Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Oxford Grey.
Needle Size: I used a US 7 (4.5 mm) and a US 9 (5.5 mm). The pattern calls for a US 8 (5 mm) and a US 9, but I couldn't find my 5 mm 16-inch circular needle, so I adjusted. It turned out fine. 


This hat only took longer because it's a long hat. I made 2 minor mods to the pattern. One was the needle size for the ribbing and the second was that I knit the ribbing for 2 inches instead of 3 inches before switching to stockinette. I like the look better. This took me most of 1 skein of this yarn. I'd make this hat again, too, probably in a yarn that's more colorful. I don't hate the grey; it's just a little boring. 



Tuesday there was no knitting. I had to work, plus I got absolutely horrible news about the death of an old friend. Even when you haven't seen someone for 20 years, it kind of takes the wind out of your sails to know that you never will again. 


Wednesday I was back knitting. But not a hat. I didn't have yarn wound, and I ended up taking my lovely daughter to the ER that morning. I needed a mindless project, so I started a sock.  This is just one of those plain-vanilla toe up types in fun yarn. I'll give all the specs when the project is completed.


So that's it in the knitting adventures for this week. I plan for the new sock to continue to grow over my weekend and see what I feel like tackling next. 

1 comment:

Maria Stahl said...

Connie, I'm sorry for your bad news. :( And I hope Ms. Thang's better now.