Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday Knitting Blog (02/17/2012)

So, here's what I knit this week, mostly today. There was also work on the Sheep Heid hat, but once again, there was pilot error (or maybe navigator error, as I seem to have trouble reading the color on the chart), and so I'm going to have to start over. Again. Fuck. 

Anyway, this is a mitten. As yet it has no partner. I'm not 100% sure if it will ever have a partner because I haven't decided my final feelings on the colors. 


I think it may have been a mistake to use the lime green in a mainly yellow mitten. In person, you can see the difference a little better, but it doesn't show up in pictures for crap. It was worse when I tried to photograph this with a white background. 


In the interest of full disclosure, I like a lot about this mitten. I like the technique for the colorwork (I was only ever working with 1 color at a time), and I like the fit very much (it's a close fitting mitten so my hand isn't lost in it). I like bright colors (I know, you're surprised), but something's just a little off here. Plus the tip of the hand part is just a touch too pointy. It slightly resembles a nipple on the tip of the middle finger, which is not a good look. Fortunately, I know how to fix that in subsequent mittens. 

Project Notes
Pattern: Cloisonee by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Cost: $5.00 Downloadable PDF via Ravelry (which is where the link goes). Worth every penny.
Needles: US 6 (4 mm). I used DPNs (bamboo which is not my norm), but this could go on a 9-inch circular, magic loop, or 2 circulars easily.
Yarn: Caron Vickie Howell Sheepish in 5 colors. This is not the kind of yarn I normally would use, but quite frankly it's the only one I was able to find locally that had good color choices and price point. I like bright colors, and this yarn has those to offer. It's 70% acrylic and 30% wool and it can go in the washing machine. I'd like it more if it were plied instead of the single texture, but I still like it. 

Will make the pattern again, but perhaps with a different palette. I have a crapton of this yarn in many colors, so  I have options. 

Tomorrow, I head up to the Madrona Fiber Arts Festival at the Hotel Murano in Tacoma. I'm very excited about that. I should have pictures of goodies for you next week. 

1 comment:

Lindsay Jean said...

MADRONA! I'm so excited, I woke up at 2. I can see what you mean about the yellow/lime green. Maybe if your last color before the body of the mitten was a little darker, you'd have some more contrast. Or position the lime green where the white is? Still, they are undoubtedly very fun mittens.